CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

10.21.2008

Hugs, Hugs, & More Hugs

So I'm thinking about becoming one of those people that are always hugging everybody. Once I made a new years resolution to hug more, but it didn't really stick. Lately I've just been feeling like hugging everybody, but it's very much against the norm for me. I was raised in a non-affectionate family which they still are. My husband would really appreciate this change, & since my BFF's mom died I am always wanting to hug her, but feel like if I did it would be so weird for me she'd think I was going (more) crazy. It's all your fault, your just so nice. So what do you think, should I take up the hugging jesture?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

start with your husband

Tiffany said...

I'm with David! HUG! HUG! HUG!
Don't worry so much about what they might think. I know when I get hugs I feel LOVED!
Start now just hug who ever is standing next to you!
(lol)
I can't wait to see you on Sunday!
(lol)

Diane B said...

OK, we're not that bad!!!
XO MoM

Jeni said...

Shaury you make me laugh. I say if you feel like hugging...you hug girl.
I think it's so great that you feel like hugging EVERYBODY!

shauntelle said...

if it's friend or family, sure....i just hate it when people i hardly know are all huggy with me.

Angela said...

Oh yes Diane, you are THAT bad. But I'd say Larry is the most affectionate...lucky me. But it's still not enough, I'm a huggy touchy kinda girl. Yes take up the hugging because people need it even though they don't show it. My grandma was known for her hugs and she was so proud of it. Even in the nursing home the nurses would come in just for one of her hugs and it made her day. She held you extra long. I miss them.

Brenda said...

I was tickled to read your "to hug or not to hug" blog. I came from a hugging family so it comes natural to me but I realize some people are "put off" by it and I would never want to offend anyone. Dana's kids are all huggers and I'm comfortable hugging Larry and Cory but not so much with Diane's girls.. Go figure?? I want all of my nieces to know how much I enjoy your blogs. Shaury, you have a hug coming next time our paths cross so brace yourself girlie!
Love ya lots, Brenda

Tiffany said...

Oh I agree Brenda. I love Diane’s family I loved growing up with them they are so much fun. I think I was closest with Wendy growing up. I was at their house almost every day and yet they are the only relatives I don’t hug. I remember at Grandma’s funeral even getting a hug from Don & Karen. What would Nolan do if you just gave him a BIG “O” SQEEZE? It’s really surprising because growing up my dad and Nolan where the most fun to play with always swinging us around. They are Great people and they all deserve hugs. Shaury great post Love ya Girl!

Jeni said...

These comments are so cute and are making me laugh.
Sounds like a certain family needs some "hug therapy".
Look out you guys..I have a feeling you're all about to be hugged like you've never been before!

Diane B said...

OK...can we talk about something else now? I KNOW I have hugged everyone whose commented here, so why am I labeled as a non-hugger???

Becky A said...

Shaury,
This post was just brought to my attention last night. I disagree with the fact that you were raised in a "non-affectionate" family. That sounds like you had a cold and lonely childhood-which is not the case. How can you say that when you are so ADORED by everyone in your family?
and to everyone else:
Hugging and not hugging is not good vs. bad. It's a personality trait. One of those "quirks"-little things that make us all different. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same? I think saying hurtful and negative things towards someone is far worse than not hugging them. Be careful what you say, because when you start attacking someone's personality, it is NEVER a good thing.

Stacy said...

Here is a little fact about hugging. It is a contagious thing if you start it and keep it going every time you see those people you want to hug. Here's proof... when Mom married Dad, Grandpa Birt was never a hugging sort of person either. Mom started hugging both Grandma and Grandpa every time she said hello or good-bye to them. Because of that I had never gone without a big hug from either of them! The same goes for Merrill's family. They all give me and my kids big hugs because I have always done so to them! If you feel like giving someone a hug, by all means do so without hesitation!
Becky the next time I see you be ready girl! You are in for a bear squeeze of a life time!lol
By the way, I think I have gotten a hug from everyone in your Family at least once. I had to be the one to go get them, but that is just fine by me.
I love you all!
Sorry this is so long but I dare you to start with your dad and mom every time you see them. you will be so amazed what happens after just a short time of doing so. Preety cool stuff!

Aleesha said...

That is so funny that you brought that up. When I picked you up for dinner the other night I wanted to run up and hug you. But I restrained because I knew you didn't like hugging. Good to know the change of heart. I'll be expecting those held in hugs of yours now.

Angela said...

Woe, I think you got yourself in deep here, Shaury. Everyone thinks this is a cute hug except your mom and sister. A "non-affectionate" family doesn't mean a non loving one, it means "not a touchy feely" one which is NOT a bad thing. I know a lot of people who are that way. No one said it was wrong. You guys are taking it too personal. And yes Diane is a touchy feely person the rest are not as much. So what. Live and let live.

Angela said...

And I want to clarify when I said "Diane, yes you are that bad" I meant "you" as the family WAS to that "extreme". Not literally "bad." I don't like people in my personal space either, as in talking close to my face, but then again I think most people don't. Don't forget this was Shaury's post about her, not the really the family. Let's not scare her away from blogging her feelings. Taking offense is NEVER a good thing.

Cory said...

I hugged you the day you were born, Shaury. I was hurt that you didn't reciprocate and decided that I wouldn't be hugging you again! ha!

I remember hugging Grandma Birt because it was a good way of keeping track of when I was actually taller than she was.

CameraGirl said...

Gee...Diane hugged me once :)

LOVE ya, Shaury