CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

5.12.2009

The Worst Things to Say

In my opinion there are 2 phrases that have got to be the worst things you can say to a person. Drum roll please....

"You look tired." (there are a few different variations of this one)

and

"Are you mad?"

Let me brake it down. If someone thinks you look tired whether you are or not, it makes you feel like you must look like crap. Thoughts like, why'd I bother putting makeup on this'morning at all, or I guess 6 hours of sleep doesn't really cut it, start running through my head. The other comment of being "mad" might be a tiny bit worse because if you're mad someone saying this will most definately make it worse. And if you're not mad, you'd probably be slightly irritated after trying to explain to someone that you're not mad (hint hint David). Anyways am I alone on this? What comments get under your skin?

12 comments:

Kristi said...

I am with you, Shaury, these are annoying! Also comments like, "You look different!?!" I can't tell if they are searching for a compliment or not.

Ellie McFreaken said...

How 'bout are you pregnant???


When you really aren't...........
hmmmmm, makes me want to cut back on the chocolate and wear a Moo-Moo!

pcb said...

I had someone ask me if I was pregnant once - I blamed it on the style of dress I was wearing. I always just think that people care about me when they ask those questions. I don't think most people REALLY look at others closely - so when someone asks these questions it is kind of a compliment that they really look at you and they care enough to be concerned. (You could look at it like this - maybe it will make you feel better.)

Becky A said...

I totally agree on the you look tired comment. There is nothing nice about that! and when you have the birt's droopy eye, you can't help looking tired even if you are wide awake!
I have a certain person that tells me I look tired EVERY time she sees me, I try to tell myself that she's just trying to be nice and feels sorry for me because I am tired. I HATE it, even though I usually am tired. NO, 6 hours does NOT cut it for me.
as for the "you look Mad" one, going hand in hand with that is when people tell me to "SMILE!" it bugs me when people say that, too.

Becky A said...

ang, did someone seriously say that to you recently? I can't imagine anyone making that mistake about your cute little bod...

Jeni said...

Well Becky said mine... "Smile." I HATE that one. Don't you dare tell me what to do. Ever.
I so agree with "you look tired" or "Are you tired?"
Shaury...you rock. This is an awesome post. I miss you.

Anonymous said...

The reason I always ask if you are mad is because when you are you won't say anything to anyone and you just stomp around the house being rude, so I ask "Are you mad?" that way I know what to expect. If you don't want the question asked, then just be nice.

Aleesha said...

So the comment that gets under my skin is, "snap out of it." I think you know who says that to me. When ever I'm mad or angry at this person he'll tell me to snap out of it. OOoooh nothing makes me more mad. My mother in law is infamous for saying pretty much all the comments mentioned here. If she thinks it, she says it. So I've gotten it all from her. Oh, I just thought of another one. "You look pale, are you sick?" No! I have a naturally fair skinned complexion thank you!

Becky A said...

Aleesha, that fair skin of yours is beautiful!

Amy N. said...

I was told I looked tired during my wedding reception...uh DUH but what happened to the "oh you are the most beautiful bride ever!" comment? It is safe. I have been asked if I am depressed before and that really annoyed me! I agree about the SMILE comment too...I will smile if I feel like it DANG IT!

Angela said...

Ditto to all the above. I don't know how Paige can take those comments so pleasantly. "Are you tired?" is just a rude comment from a person who feels inferior and wants you to feel less pretty is my opinion. There is no purpose in asking it. But in Europe it seems they just say things how it is and you don't get offended by it...like "you don't look good at all." It's more of a statement than a dumb question. I have 2 deep creases between my eyebrows, so until i get botox injections I will be mad, tired and not smiling!!

shauntelle said...

deep thoughts by shaury rice....too true!