I have to confess, I went to the Marathon Saturday to cheer on (get this) my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, sister, & 2 brother-in-laws, & I think I caught it. You know, the running bug. It's all I can think about. My eyes got moist (sorry Jeni) as I watched all kinds cross the finish line. What an amazing accomplishment, & one that's so personal. My hat's off to all you runners in my family, my BFF, & my relief society pres. I hope to join in on the fun ASAP. Got any advice for a beginner?
5.19.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Awesome Shaury! I am so excited for August - are you planning that as your first public showing?
Woo Hoo!!! This seriously makes me so excited. Okay, so I have a little (and I mean little) experience being a beginner myself. First of all start slow! Or else you're gonna start off hating it. My first run I ran .25 miles and called it good. Then I added on just a little more each time. I also read an article in one of Matt's Runners magazines that said a good idea for a beginner is to do intervals. Run, walk, run, walk etc. With the running times being longer than the walking times. But I'm not a big fan of that. Maybe you'd like it though. If you ever need a running partner let me know. I'm just around the corner. Oh, girl, you have no idea the plans I got going on in my head now for the two of us!
Isn't it amazing how inspiring it is to simply watch everyone cross the finish line...all ages and all sizes?
My biggest advice is don't give up. Some days you have bad runs...just hang in there and a good one is around the corner.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Take it slow and add a bit more each time.
If your knees hurt-ice them.
The first time I ran...I wanted to at least do 1 mile. I ran the whole thing...but I could have walked it faster than I ran it because I was going so slow. But I did it! I made it! It was a miracle! Then I stuck with that mile run until I felt like I could add some more to it. Great, this is getting to be too long...
If you go to runnersworld.com they have good training plans for running races. I trust there advice more than mine. :)
oh brother..typo...I meant to type "their" not "there" advice. I'm getting old.
I haven't read the other comments so if this is a repeat sorry! My advice is find a running buddy until you really feel like it is a part of your routine. Also put on some headphones with some slammin' music...this helps me so I don't hear myself huff and puff in the beginning stages....and last but not least don't give up...If Puffy Daddy can do a marathon then ANYONE can! LOL!!!! AND don't start thinking about big races start small........Maybe I should take some of my own advice....This is the "old running angie" giving you advice...the new angie would say screw it and watch everyone else run by!!!
yay, shaur! Can't wait for August!
oh boy...for someone with no running advice-I sure have a lot.
Shaury...2 VERY most important things:
#1: Don't skimp on running shoes.
#2: Get a good sports bra.
I wonder what other pearls of wisdom will pop up in my head?.....
i'm so jealous! i wish someone around here would start up an exercise plan with me. boohoo
Oh No, not you too! ha ha All I have to say is I like what Aleesha said about the runners magazine and the walk run thing....I don't know how else to do it..I most certainly can't just start running and not stop! I personally think it is bad on your joints so I'll stick to my walking, that and I'm lazy.
Post a Comment