CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

4.02.2009

A book club of one

I can’t express how truly prodigious and remarkable Henderson the Rain King is. It was my first delve into reading Bellow and I loved nearly every word laid to paper.
There are books that make you want to reach deep inside and twist your guts around in the attempt to find something within that can match the emotions emitted from the pages; this is one of those books.
A brief quote from the book,
"Now I have already mentioned that there was a disturbance in my heart, a voice that spoke there and said, I want, I want, I want! It happened every afternoon, and when I tried to suppress it got even stronger. It said only one thing, I want, I want! And I would ask, 'What do you want?' But this is all it would ever tell me."
I think everyone has felt that in a sense at one point in life, some more than others, Bellow’s Henderson is a book in search of the answer to that “want” and unlike a lot books when you close the back cover of the Rain King you feel like that question has been not just reasonably answered but copiously answered.
The question to whether a book is great or not (and I use the word great with carful precision, because many books are good, only a handful are great) can generally be surmised, if at the end of the book when you finish the last word of the last page it makes you pause, and feel.

4 comments:

pcb said...

Aaww David! For a minute I thought Shaury's hiatus was over and then I realized it was YOU! Bring back Shaury will ya!

Jeni said...

I loved your last paragraph...so true!

Cory said...

Awesome review, David. It scored a 52 for readability and graded out on the 7th grade level at www.writingtester.com.

(Most people live around the 5th grade level and generally lower than that for blogs.)

Angela said...

I too thought "wow, shaury found a book she actually read and enjoyed?" then when you said "every word laid to paper" i was first jealous that shaury could phrase things so well and yet a little confused that she'd say something like that....aaahhhh twas you!